Thursday 12 March 2015

The Diviners

The Diviners

Author- Libba Bray
Page count- 529 (hardcover)
Publisher- Little/Brown books
Publication Date- September 18th 2012

Synopsis 

17 year old Evie O'Neil has been exiled from her boring home town of Chicago to New York City, where she will stay with her uncle Will and his museum of the occult, but she couldn't be happier after all dreams come true in New York- quite literally it seems. 
However amongst her euphoria of finally being in New York, Evie is hiding a dark secret. A supernatural ability which she fears her uncle will find out about. But as a string of cryptic murders come to light Will is called to help enlisting in his student Jericho's and Evie's help. 
And whilst Evie Is plunged into a world of murder, mysteries, speakeasies, old and new friends, New York has things to hide.
A chorus girl named Theta is hiding in the shadows of her past. A con artist named Sam is out for revenge. A student called Jericho hides a big secret. A young opportunist named Memphis longs for more. And a blind homeless man sees more than most for an evil has awakened one that no one is prepared for.

My opinion

For fans of Cassandra Clare and Marissa Meyer: 

Where to begin? I have so much love for this book it has everything I've ever wanted all in one, a strong witty female protagonist, fantasy, urban legends, witty dialogue... I could go on and on and on but I think you get it. I laughed, I swooned and I was legitimately sacred at some points.
Bray's portrayal of 1920's New York and the period detail was so brilliantly executed that I felt like I was there; experiencing women's liberation, speakeasies and flappers in and amongst the hight of the Jazz era however Brays representation wasn't all beaded necklaces and marathon dancing. Amongst the clouded euphoria of the roaring twenties Bray shows a much darker side of New York with it being the hight of the civil rights movement, xenophobia, gang wars and prohibition. Amid all of this Bray weaves in a fanatical occult killer and elements of fantasy. Which will have you drawn in immediately. 

Evie O'Neil is a swell ( did you see what I did there? ) character, easily one of my most loveable protagonists! Her development in retaliation to her situation was brilliantly executed. She has this magnetic quality that makes you wish she was real, because having a friend like her? No day would be boring! I Loved Evie's relationship with the other characters, especially with her uncle Will, her polar opposite who she ends up solving murder mysteries with. The witty banter between Evie and Sam was one of my favourite aspects of the book, I was constantly re-reading their scenes, I couldn't get enough!
Now I could beat my gums (eh eh?? ;)) about every single one of these characters all day long but we would be here forever, the book has so many layers with a wide range of characters but you'll just have to take my word that they are all equally brilliant! But don't be fooled because they are hiding secrets of their own too. 

“You can’t blame a fella for kissing the prettiest girl in New York, can you, sister?” Sam’s grin was anything but apologetic. Evie brought up her knee quickly and decisively, and he dropped to the floor like a grain sack. “You can’t blame a girl for her quick reflexes now, can you, pal?” 

I will say though that there dialogue is quite heavy with 1920's slang which takes some getting used to, now me? I loved it, it made the book seem more real for it's period. However I can see how people could get annoyed by it!

Now, for the murderer! Apart from Anna Dressed in Blood books don't normally scare me, films yes, heck yes. But books? Not so much, not until I read this one. Our Murderer/deranged occult believer is one of the most twisted characters I've ever met who gave me the heebie-jeebies (I'll stop with the 1920's slang now), and all I could keep thinking was how has bray managed to go from writing fluffy swoon worthy banter to creating this dark, mutilating killer with his own theme song... Naughty John, Naughty John... 

“Naughty John, Naughty John, does his work with his apron on. Cuts your throat and takes your bones, sells 'em off for a coupla stones.” 


P.s. I can't do this book justice, Just read it.
P.p.s. If the cover alone doesn't make you want to read it then I don't know what will!

                                                                      Rating: 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment